Sunday, June 30, 2019

Dahl's House and the End of Matilda June

I seem to have a doll house theme, as well as a Dahl theme, so it's pretty fitting that my last full day was the day I scheduled my trip out to see the Roald Dahl Museum. Truthfully, I bought a train ticket and a museum ticket for yesterday morning, but I am SO WIPED at this point, and it was pretty stinkin' hot yesterday (90s). I stayed in and rested for the most part. I rebooked my train ticket for today, and got a new museum ticket. I also had to move out of my dorm; I packed up and left my luggage at a store through this service called Luggage Hero. It's like AirBnB for your bags - it's awesome! I didn't have to lug everything around all day, and it gave me the day to explore.

I took a train, and the museum was just a few blocks from the station. Here are some of the neat things I got to see in Great Missenden!



Dahl had terrible back issues from when he crashed his plane in the war. He made his own custom writing chair so he could write in comfort in his hut.



Pages from his work. Did you know that Matilda went through several drafts, and he had to completely start over when he realized he didn't want Matilda to be a bad child? I'm so glad he rewrote. The Matilda in me is honored.











Matilda!



The BFG wanders past the museum to check on everyone's good dreams.



This gas station features in Danny, Champion of the World, one of Dahl's more autobiographical books.

I took a hike out to see where Dahl is buried. Matilda had to sit and cry a little more. The BFG left his footprints to his maker's grave.



The bench is for Dahl. The concrete beneath it has quotes from The Giraffe, the Pelly, and Me.


I had lunch at Matilda's Cafe (fitting, right?), and went back to London to get my bags and trudge (I mean really trudge) to my hotel for the night. It's back to America tomorrow.

I honestly can't wait to be home. My house, my cats, and my bf(f!) are there, and I won't be freezing any more, and I won't be a tourist for a while. It was a great Matilda June, and as much as I love London, I'm flying back without a single regret. Back to Missippippi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dahl's House and the End of Matilda June

I seem to have a doll house theme, as well as a Dahl theme, so it's pretty fitting that my last full day was the day I scheduled my trip...